Here's a race perfectly timed with New Year's fitness goals.
Beware, though, the Jan. 13 Kiwanis Adventure Run on Honeymoon Island is not for the faint of heart.
The traditional five-mile course takes runners through woodland trails and rocky beaches. Runners must battle the elements of cold, wind, and terrain changes.
Organizers warn that January's average morning lows are in the mid to low 40s and winds are usually between 10 and 20 knots. And the course's terrain varies from grass, mud, dirt, and rocks to loose and compact sand.
It is a rain-or-shine event.
If you're not ready for five miles, there is a 5K option. Both races start at 8:30 a.m. inside Honeymoon Island State Park and end with a pancake breakfast served by the Kiwanis Club of Dunedin.
Want to Go?
- When: Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013; race time 8:30 a.m.; check-in 7:30 a.m.; gates open at 6 a.m.
- Where: Honeymoon Island State Park (park in the North lot)
- Gate Entry: Free before 8 a.m., otherwise $8 a vehicle.
- Race Cost: Pre-register online for $25 by Jan. 10 (includes race-day T-shirt). Cost increases to $30 on race day.
- Post Race Fun: Pancake breakfast, coffee, hot chocolate and hot water.