Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl Beach Bash
On Sunday, FIU and Marshall competed in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl Beach Bash at the TradeWinds Island Resort on St. Pete Beach.
Just days before they strap on the pads to do battle on the gridiron, players from the FIU Panthers and Marshall Thundering Herd vied over who belly-flopped the best or hula-hooped the longest.
The TradeWinds hotel on St. Pete Beach was the sandy backdrop for the pregame good times for college players and their fans.
- Belly Flop: Brandon Bullock, Marshall
- Hula Hoop: Jose Cheeseborough, FIU
- Talent Show: Ceedrick Davis, FIU
- Dance Off: Isaiah “Jazz” King and Troy Evans, Marshall
On Tuesday the two teams will square off at 8 p.m. at Tropicana Field. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN.
The game culminates some highly visible pre-game activities that create excitement among the college fans and put St. Petersburg and the Tampa Bay area in the national spotlight. Here is a rundown of the week:
- Visit to All Children's Hospital. From 9-10:30 a.m., team captains, mascots and cheerleaders will offer gifts to sick children at the hospital.
- Battle of the Bands. Back at the TradeWinds, the marching bands from FIU and Marshall compete. From 2:30-5:30 p.m. there will be a beach cookout, tug-of-war, flag football and even boxing. Event is free and open to the public.
- Bowl Block Party. Head to Ferg's Sports Bar for the Bowl Block Party. The party begins at 5 p.m. and includes live music, displays and interactive games. Admission is free.
- Tailgate Extravaganza: Tropicana Field parking lots will open early for diehard fans to show their team spirit. In Lot 7A, from 2-8 p.m., there will be interactive games and entertainment. The event is free and open to the public.